The Soft Shell Protector and the Wave Cover are covers that are compatible with use in water and are custom-made. The Soft Shell Protectors have a similar tone to that of the opposite leg and the Wave Covers come in a range of design colors (grey, blue, orange, etc.). The cover protects the prosthesis and imitates anatomy (similar shape to the opposite leg). The cover is self-supporting and does not require foam beneath it, unlike silicone covers with foam. The prosthetist has permanent access to the prosthetic components, allowing them to adjust the settings. The cover can be used with everyday prostheses as well as specific prostheses (for bathing or other uses).
Yes, all the covers are custom-made in terms of dimensions, shape, and color by our production team per the measurements and 3D files provided by the prosthetist.
The mechanical properties of prosthetic feet are also taken into account for manufacturing. We adapt each cover to the patient. A proposed shape is sent to the prosthetist during manufacturing so that they can approve it or request modifications.
Yes, the covers are extremely durable and are made from biomedical silicone with superior mechanical properties. This enables users to use their prostheses for a wide range of activities such as outdoor sports. The material used is very resistant to impacts, heat, and chemicals such as cleaning detergents. This ensures easy cleaning and maintenance for the user.
A cover weighs between 500 and 650 grams on average. A cover’s weight depends on the user’s activity level (1-2 or 3-4), the thickness necessary for manufacturing, and prosthesis' dimensions.
The cover can be used on the everyday prosthesis, water prosthesis, or both. It adapts to all types of prosthetic components (carbon feet, SACH feet, feet with hydraulic ankles, etc...). If you intend to use your prosthesis in water, make sure that all of the prosthetic components are guaranteed for use in water.
There are two separate cases:
- If it is completely submerged in water, the prosthesis fills with water to create neutral buoyancy. When the user comes out of the water, the water will then drain. The prosthetic components however must be suitable for use in water.
- When taking a shower , the soft shell cover will shield the components from splash water.
We recommend using AQUALEG compatible components, especially when you are going to use your prosthesis in water.
The list of AQUALEG compatible components is listed on our website. We particularly recommend the QRX ADAPTERS range, which is manufactured and sold by AQUALEG and guarantees zero corrosion.
With the use of titanium adapters, the risk of corrosion is eliminated. The components in the QRX ADAPTERS range are specially designed for use in water, even salty or chlorinated water. However, we still recommend rinsing and drying the prosthesis components after each use in water.
Yes, because the cover will fill with water and provide a neutral buoyancy. Make sure that your prosthetist has carried out the necessary adjustments by making an air inlet hole in the cover and ensures water drainage on the distal end or prosthesis. The user must ensure that they are taking part in activities that do not exceed their physical abilities.
Yes, the AQUALEG covers are perfectly suited to the needs and expectations of children and teenagers. The cover’s extreme durability allows children to play, run, and even go on holiday without having to pay too much attention to it.
The cover can be used hassle-free for sporting activities.
The manufacturing process is the same as for covers used by adults.
Yes, the covers are particularly well adapted to and even advised with active or passive vacuum systems. Besides, the cover will protect the air tubes from being accidentally cut or pulled out. Unlike foam, the AQUALEG cover’s silicone-based material is not porous and can be made watertight very easily. The covers can be positioned over or beneath the knee sleeve depending on the choice of the prosthetist. When using push valves, they can be activated through the cover without needing to make a hole.
Knee sleeve over the prosthetic cover: a 3D prosthesis scan without the sleeve is required when ordering.
Knee sleeve beneath the prosthetic cover: a 3D prosthesis scan with the sleeve is required when ordering.
The Transfemoral covers are suitable for all types of transfemoral prostheses. Aqualeg provides 3 different options :
- Transfemoral Sport Cover finishing below the TF-socket without knee sleeve (AQ1/2F). here to see a video
- Transfemoral Cover- Below knee part with knee sleeve bridging the gap from shank to trans-femoral socket (AQ1/2F002)
- Transfemoral Cover Complete : with trans-tibial and trans-femoral silicone cover and knee sleeve connecting these (AQFEM001).
No, the covers are custom-made and prosthesis-specific. You cannot use the same cover for two different prostheses.
Covers can be adapted for many types of prostheses, even very atypical ones: BOA system, osseointegration, prosthesis with a thigh brace, special feet for water activities, etc..
Click herefor more examples. For special orders, please don't hesitate to contact us to discuss your requirements.
The cover doesn’t fully cover the prosthetic foot shell. This is to leave easy and permanent access for prosthetic adjustments by the prosthetist. This offers a very high level of functionality: access to adjust settings, free movement of the foot, easier cleaning, easy changing of components, neutral buoyancy in water, etc...
There are 13 colors available. The color has to be chosen from the AQUALEG silicone skin tone chart.
Yes, you can customize your cover with a tattoo.
• AQUALEG tattoos: : a wide range of tattoos are available in the AQUALEG iPad app. You can select a tattoo after choosing the product. You can also take a photo and simulate the position and dimensions of the tattoo.
• Customised tattoos : please contact the AQUALEG technical team for more information on creating custom-made tattoos.
We will need a flat image file to assess feasibility.
AQUALEG covers are custom-made following the anatomical shape of the opposite leg and the shape of the prosthesis. We create a shape as similar as possible to the opposite leg while taking into account the dimensions and alignment of the prosthesis. Where the prosthesis is larger than the opposite leg, it is not possible to achieve a perfectly physiological shape. Similarly, some very large components may impact the final result.
Skin color is custom-made per the tone chosen by the end-user. The tone is always an approximation to the color of the opposite leg which constantly changes (amount of tanning, blood circulation, etc.).
The AQUALEG order process is completely digital. In general, you won't need to send the prosthesis to AQUALEG.
• AQUALEG iPad app : you can order products via the AQUALEG app available on iPad (appstore). The app allows you to create and complete patient files (measurements, amputation level, etc.), perform your 3D scans (with the 3D Structure Sensor scanner), choose products, and place your order.
• Email : you can send the 3D files and the purchase order to email@example.com, if you don’t wish to use the app.
• Order through the AQUALEG iPad app : iPad + 3D Structure Sensor scanner + measuring tape + AQUALEG silicone skin tone chart
• Order by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) : purchase order + 3D scanner + measuring tape + AQUALEG silicone skin tone chart
Other manufacturers’ skin tone charts cannot be used to choose the tone of an AQUALEG cover.
You can download the AQUALEG app from the Appstore (available on iPad) by clicking here.
Yes, you have to create a user account to be able to create patient files and place orders. Account creation is free and is done directly from the app’s homepage. We recommend using a general email address to create your account (e.g. info@...). The prosthetist can add their own email to their patient file, which we will use to contact them during manufacturing. If you prefer, you can create an account for each prosthetist in your company.
Check your internet connection status. In the upper section of the app, an icon will indicate whether you are connected to the internet. If your connection is good but you can’t connect to your account, use to “forgotten password” function.
You can change the password on your user account. Use the “Change password” function to do this.
If you don’t recall your password, use the “forgotten password” function.
In general, all 3D scanners are compatible with the order process. If you’re using a 3D Structure Sensor scanner with your iPad, please ensure that your camera is up to date. We need .stl or .obj format 3D files for manufacturing. To improve the 3D prosthesis scan, we recommend placing a nylon stockinette over the prosthesis.
Yes, all AQUALEG covers are custom-made and the final quality of the product depends on the quality of the order data. We need a 3D scan from the prosthetic side and one from the contra-lateral. Additional measurements are requested in order to check the accuracy of the 3D files provided.
• Valves and push buttons must be carefully positioned by the prosthetist. We recommend positioning push buttons, valves and other components at areas on the the prosthesis where they do not protrude through the cover.
• Prosthetic foot size : in order to facilitate shoe fitting, we recommend using a prosthetic foot that is one shoe size smaller than the opposite foot.
PROSTHESIS DATA : we need data on the final prosthesis (components and alignment validated with the patient).
• 3D file of the prosthesis : the 3D prosthesis scan shall be carried out with the shoe removed from the prosthesis and the prosthesis removed from the patient. We recommend donning a lycra nylon stockinette around the prosthesis to improve 3D digitalisation (see video below). If a sleeve is used and shall be placed under the cover, we need a 3D file of the prosthesis with the sleeve positioned correctly.
• Measurement just below the posterior socket brim line of the prosthesis (under the popliteal fossa). We need the diameters and the circumference (click here to see an example of where to measure)..
• Prosthetic foot reference and size. .
CONTRA-LATERAL LEG DATA
• 3D file of the opposite leg (see video below)
• Circumference measurements at the calf (thickest part) and above the ankle (thinnest part).
• Colour : choose from the AQUALEG silicone skin tone chart
• Tattoo : if desired, we need a tattoo number, dimensions, and position.
• Leg hair : if desired, we need 4 photos of the non-affected side (anterior, posterior, lateral, and medial sides) to determine leg hair density.
You must use the AQUALEG silicone skin tone chart to choose the tone of the cover. The choice of skin tone is always an approximation. We recommend choosing a medium skin tone that can be used most of the year. The choice should be made in natural daylight.
• AQUALEG tattoo :a wide range of tattoos are available in the AQUALEG iPad app. You can choose a tattoo after choosing the product. You can also take a photo and simulate the position and dimensions of the tattoo with the app.
• Customised tattoo : please contact the AQUALEG technical team for more information on creating custom-made tattoos. We will need a flat image file to assess feasibility.
We need 4 photos of the opposite leg (anterior, posterior, lateral, and medial sides) to determine leg hair density.
We recommend taking these photos close up so that the data is as accurate as possible.
Two options are available when you wish to order covers for a bilateral amputee patient.
- Option 1: send us 3D files of the prostheses with and without the previous cosmetics. You must also provide us with the previous cosmetic measurements (calf and ankle circumferences).
- Option 2: send us 3D files of the prostheses without the prosthetic covers. In addition, you send us a photo showing the patient’s build and the desired measurements. With this information, the AQUALEG technical team can create shapes using its database.
• The prosthesis has not been modified: : if you want exactly the same cover (shape and skin tone), provide us with the series number of the previous cover. The serial number is located on the inside of the cover.
• The prosthesis has been modified: you should provide us with the same information as for a new order (3D files + measurements + colour, etc.).
For more details on the order information necessary, please contact the AQUALEG technical team.
You can access the list of your previous orders via the AQUALEG app (see video below). Patient information, such as type of product ordered, choice of skin tone, tattoo, and leg hair are included.
Confirmation of receipt of order : an email confirming receipt of order is sent by the production department once they have received the data. If there is data missing, the production department will inform you and direct you in gathering the missing data.
Validation of cover shape : the production department sends you a 3D proposal shape form (click here to see an example) so that you can validate the shape or request modifications. Once the shape has been validated, we begin manufacturing.
Product quality control and shipping : once the cover has successfully passed quality control, the cover will be shipped and the tracking number is sent to you by email.
The patient file has already been completed and you want to place an order. You can start by choosing a product and then link the patient to your order.
You receive the following components with the cover:
• 2 copies of the operating instructions (1 for the prosthetist and 1 for the user)
• 1 pair of Aquashoes
• 1 foam stripe
• 1 elastic band
• 1 check-list with the different fitting steps
Yes, you need to sand the edges of the foot shell (soften the angles) to achieve a smoother transition when the cover comes down over the foot cover. You have to make a water drainage slot on the medial side of the foot shell so that the water drains out quickly when the user gets out of the water.
• Lower section: the cover is delivered longer than necessary at the foot. We recommend a cut halfway across the instep to facilitate shoe fitting for the patient.
• Upper section : the cover is delivered longer than necessary at the upper end. The cover should be cut along the edges of the socket.
This is an option even though the covers are custom-made and support themselves when inserted into the prosthesis. If you want to glue the cover to the socket, we recommend using it for a few days first before doing so (time for the cover to take its natural position). We recommend using the AQUALEG silicone adhesive for this.
No, the cover should not be glued onto the foot shell. The prosthetist must have permanent and easy access to adjust the prosthetic settings. If the cover is glued to the foot shell, the user cannot clean and rinse the prosthesis. Also, it will decrease prosthesis functionality and provoke wrinkles.
Making an air inlet slot is mandatory when fitting the cover with water prosthesis. The air inlet slot facilitates water flooding and drainage.
You can easily reduce warps in the cover by placing cushioning foam. Warps have several potential causes (cover too long at the foot, incorrectly positioned cover, vacuum effect, etc.).
There may be water drainage problems if the water drainage slot has not been made in the foot shell. You can also enlarge the air intake slot if required (video below).
AQUALEG covers are made to last several years. It is the responsibility of each user to take care of it. Wear related to the use of the cover by the amputee is completely normal and is not covered by the guarantee.
Repairing delaminations is one of the mandatory pieces of maintenance that the prosthetist has to perform.
Delaminations can be repaired using the AQUALEG silicone repair adhesive. If a delamination appears, you should contact your prosthetist as soon as possible in order to proceed with maintenance.
If delamination (less than 1 cm) is handled in time, it can be repaired easily, effectively, and sustainably. Conversely, if delamination is not handled promptly, it is not covered by the guarantee. The quality of the repair will be impacted and the repair may not be effective or sustainable.
- 1. Apply silicone adhesive between the delaminated layers.
- 2. Keep the different layers against each other using a plastic film while drying (24 hours)
- 3. Remove the plastic film
- 4. Remove excess silicone adhesive using scissors.
- 5. The delamination is repaired.
You can use soap water for everyday cleaning. We recommend isopropyl alcohol for more stubborn stains. Please contact your prosthetist if the stains remain.
We recommend cleaning and rinsing the prosthetic components with clean water after each use in contact with water (cover, tube, adapters, prosthetic foot, prosthetic knee and spectra sock, etc.).
Yes, only if the prosthesis is fitted with a prosthetic foot exchange adapter. If the prosthesis is not fitted with this type of adapter, only the prosthetist is authorised to remove the prosthetic cover..
Your prosthetic knee can be charged by rolling down the upper part of the cover’s transtibial section (see photo below) and connecting the charger.
We recommend using a shoehorn to put your shoes on. Using socks or ankle socks also facilitates putting your shoes on.
If the user still has difficulties putting their shoes on, the cover can be shortened at the instep to facilitate it (see photos below). Where possible, we also recommend using a prosthetic foot in a smaller size to that usually used.